Dentistry/Naturally Yellow teeth and Inadequate Scaling.

I am a 22 year old male living in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Issue A--

Recently I had grade 3 scaling. After the procedure the molars at the far end had some white chalky colour to it still after the scaling. And some black dots remained on the teeth. The procedure took only half an hour, and I think the dentist did not clean thoroughly and was too fast.  

Issue 2--

Also, my dentist told me that during any type teeth whitening procedure a layer of enamel needs to be scraped off. The color of my teeth is naturally yellowish, and that to make them white, a lot of enamel needs to be scraped off and thus I shouldnt whiten my teeth.

I personally have seen that my teeth were a bit yellowish from the beginning, but over time they became more yellow to what is now.

So my Questions are--
What is your opinion about--
1. Issue A?
2. Issue B?

Dear Brown,

I am so glad that you are concerned about your teeth, and about your dentist's performance with them.

1. If you needed a scaling, you had a great deal of calcium deposits on your teeth.  In our office, this requires at least one hour of scaling.  Sometimes more.

2. With rare exception, your enamel is the whitest part of your teeth.  Under your enamel is dentin, and dentin is darker in color.  So keeping your enamel on your teeth should be paramount.

3. Before whitening, your teeth should be thoroughly cleaned, polished and free of debris.

4. If you want to whiten your teeth, make sure they are clean and polished.  Then begin the whitening process (we use Zoom in our office, which provides about 4-5 shades of whitening in a one-hour application.  And we give you a touch-up kit to take home.

5. There are many whitening products available over the counter and online.  You will want to find ones that use about 8% carbamide peroxide gel.  These usually give good results without doing any harm.

Please let me know what you do.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.