Dentistry/Need 5 root canals, 23 years old NO INCOME

Question
Greetings Doctor,

I currently am a 23 year old male in a bit of a dillema. I went to the dentist after neglecting to go for quite awhile and was shocked to find out that I have about 10 cavities, 5 will necessitate root canals.

The dentist quoted me a 3500$ price for the teeth, I have no money to my name.  Currently "Affinity Health Plan" apparently won't cover my root canals.  What can I do since I am unable to pay, are there any alternatives?

I live in Queens New York

Very Concerned

Answer
I don't know what kind of shape your teeth are in without seeing you, but generally the alternative to root canal therapy is extraction. I might suggest that you either try a dental school like NYU, which offers dentistry at reduced rates, or free or low-cost clinics in NYC. If you can't find them in the phone book or on the web, check with your local dental society.

Dentistry

Frederick R. Liewehr DDS, MS, FICD