Dentistry/Pain around nose and upper gum

Question
hello,

About 6 weeks ago i was struck in the face with a hockey stick, totally accidental. The stick shattered 5 teeth and displaced one, i was brought to the emergency dentist and got fixed up. My teeth were broken just above the gumline, low enough for my roots to be showing. They performed 5 pulpectomy's and bonded my displaced tooth to two other teeth.

They told me i needed to heal a bit before finishing the work. I waited about a month before i finally got in to a dentist who had time. He decided that he would do all 5 root canals in one day as well as install the posts to support the crowns. When he started working on my right front tooth(if your looking at me), he noticed it was infected. which is weird becuase I had felt no pain in the tooth previously.

It has been almost 2 weeks since my appointment and i now have temporary crowns on. About a 5 days after the procedure i started noticing a throbbing type sensation in my front right tooth. It was a dull pain, more annoying than painful, but it felt like there was pressure on it. When i would touch the bridge of my nose, upper gumline and that area it would hurt allot. That pain has actually subsided to the point i dont even notice it.

I am just wondering if it is infected again or if there is another possibility. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answer
Ron,
Sorry to hear about your accident. While reading your question, I was thinking that there might be another crack/fracture of the tooth beneath the gum. Your symptoms of throbbing, pressure, and pain along with the history of trauma indicate a possible fracture of the tooth. However, if the pain and symptoms has subsided, it might just have been the teeth and the new temporaries settling in. It is not unusual to feel a bit of pressure after new temporary crowns (especially after an episode of tooth trauma).
So, in my opinion, I would wait another 2-4 weeks with the temporaries in place and hopefully everything will return to normal. If you have any swelling, pain, or other signs of infection (pus, bleeding, fever, etc...) go to your dentist ASAP because there might be a fracture or re-infection. Hopefully, everything will settle down and in a couple of weeks you'll be able to get you new crowns and put this episode behind you.
Best of luck to you,
Joseph Zelig
http://www.smileinthecity.com

Dentistry

Joseph Zelig, DDS