Dentistry/Permanent Braces

Question
I am 26 years old and I have had my braces off for about 10 years now. My Orthodontist left a permanent metal brace on the back of my lower teeth. This brace has broken and will cost about $200.00 to replace. I would love to not have it anymore as it make is rather cumbersome when brushing. If I do not have this replaced, probable that my teeth will shift and become crooked again?

I was advised over the phone that my orthodontist will advocate to have it replaced as he does this with all of his clients and he himself has had one in for 27 years. If it is not necessary, I'd rather not have it.

Thank you for your guidance on this topic!

Answer
The smart advice is to continue using a retainer.  Otherwise you risk the resumption and increase in crowding of the lower incisors which is a continuous process as one grows older.  You don't, however, need to continue with the bonded lower wire.  There are other alternatives available.  One such alternative is a clear, removable retainer which is worn at night.  This appliance, known as an Essix retainer is one such device. It usually takes two visits to fabricate.  Of course, you'll have to have your current retainer removed and an impression taken.  The Essix retainer is then placed at the second visit, usually within one week of the impression.

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson