Dentistry/Receding gum

Question
Tooth
Tooth  
I am 22 years old and have never had any real problems with my teeth. I woke up a couple of days ago an notice that the gum on my left canine tooth had receeded to the point it is now. I brush my teeth, floss when I remember an use mouth wash. My concern is why this is happening and what is it? I have not been able to see a dentist yet and am only freaking myself out more every day. Can you please help me out with what is goin on. The picture I have attached has been reverse so it looks like my right tooth but it is in fact my left.

Answer
Hi Brian,

I would start with your general dentist.  Show him your gums and teeth, particularly your upper left Cuspid.  Show him where it is receding.  It would probably also be a good idea to see a Periodontist which is a specialty that deals with Gum disease.  See if you get a referral from your general dentist.

Receding gums can be caused by many factors.....including bacterial gum infection, genetics, improper or aggressive brushing, infrequent visits to a dentist for general cleanings, grinding or clenching your teeth.  Plus a slew of other random reasons that only a board certified dentist could appropriately determine.

I would not wait.  Much of good dental care centers around prevention, and the idea is to stop this problem early on before it becomes any worse.

If you have not already, make sure that in the future, you go to your dentist for a general cleaning and teeth examination every 6 months.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble