Dentistry/Root canal

Is it common practice to file a molar tooth flat when getting a root canal because it makes it easier to work on the tooth?

Hi Laura,

Yes, it is common to file down the tooth.
The reason is not so much that it makes it easier to work on the tooth, but rather for post-operatively.

If the tooth isn't filed down somewhat, then after the root canal is finished, you would constantly hit the tooth when eating. This will cause further inflammation and pain in the area.

By making the tooth flat, the dentist is essentially taking the tooth out of occlusion, allowing for the ligament around the tooth to heal without further stress.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR