Dentistry/Root canal

Question
Is it common practice to file a molar tooth flat when getting a root canal because it makes it easier to work on the tooth?

Answer
Hi Laura,

Yes, it is common to file down the tooth.
The reason is not so much that it makes it easier to work on the tooth, but rather for post-operatively.

If the tooth isn't filed down somewhat, then after the root canal is finished, you would constantly hit the tooth when eating. This will cause further inflammation and pain in the area.

By making the tooth flat, the dentist is essentially taking the tooth out of occlusion, allowing for the ligament around the tooth to heal without further stress.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD