Dentistry/Root canal pain during both appointments

Question
Hello,
I've just finished (Hopefully) a root canal And havé temporaire filling. It's on a molar that's part of a bridge. There's been a couple of good moments of pain (the kind that causes jumping and crying out) during the procedure only when she has gone deep and in one area.(during both visits)  I'm in france and it seems anesthesia is different here. I'm not sure she's used it.

She has said the pain is caused by hitting infection which is surprising her as there shouldnt be any pain. I'm not on antibiotics (since 6+ weeks ago) and the tooth has been quiet since original infection presumably cleared up...
Should I worry? Is this pain on contact normal? It feels like she's hit a nerve (layman s term obviously)
Thanks for you answer. And happy new year

Answer
Hi donna
Wish you a happy new year too!
Ok, pain during root canal treatment is a harsh reality. Having said that its cruel to continue doing a root canal when a tooth is not adequately numb. From that angle i feel the standard of care was substandard.
However since you do not have any pain now, and you havent posted any xray, i shall presume that the rct filling is upto the standards.
Is there a correlation between pain during root canal and future success of rct? NONE
So you can relax from that point of view.

So why does the tooth not get numb despite best efforts?
1) faulty numbing technique
2) local factors like unusual position of the nerve
3) extra sources of nerve supply
4) low pain threshold
5) presence of ttx receptors that are inherently resistant to conventional numbing agents.
6) presence of an acidic environment at the site of injection that doesnt let the numbing molecules to diffuse out and reach the nerve.

What went wrong? Its hard to say.....
Its usually a good practise to send the patient home and pack a medication in the tooth and recall after a few days.

BUT ALLS WELL THAT ENDS WELL! Que sera sera!
Best wishes
Dr mayank kaurani
India

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS