Dentistry/Second Crown/Pain

Question
I am so frustrated.  I had a crown done about 15 years ago.  I got decay under the tooth, my dentist told me to pull it, and have an implant.  I have been going to this particular dentist my whole life.  He always seems to manage to find a way to spend thousands of dollars even with insurance.  I didn't want an implant, I wanted a bridge..he said that was old school.  I go to another dentist and he says, I can clean the decay, operate on the gum line and crown this.  I agree and I'm happy.  The problem is, now I have major gum pain, my gum bleeds, along with the rest of the teeth surrounding the crown.  I have felt that this was not put in correctly, or maybe my last dentist was correct in stating he couldn't save the tooth.  I wonder if this new dentist just wanted the money and the patient.  I'm so annoyed.  So now, my gum is so sore, never felt like it healed properly, hurts to floss and is tender all the time.  Also, I always feel like I have to floss this tooth, like something is stuck in there, but nothing is in there.  As an fyi, I get a cleaning every 3 months, I am always getting some major work done, I am constantly buying the best of everything for my teeth and I am still so disappointed.  NOw I feel like I shouldn't have this new dentist work on my tooth anymore, and I'm embarrassed to go back to my  old dentist.  I'm so aggravated with the dental world right now..how does one person spend thousands yearly and yet is still unhappy..UGH.  Help..what is wrong with my tooth/gum line?  I also had a rootcanal on this tooth so I know it's not that.

Answer
Hi Robyn,

I am going to preface my answer with, "I am not a dentist" because I am about to go on a rant about one of my pet peeves!

My personal opinion is that a good general dentist, knows a little bit about most dental specialties, but is not the best expert in any particular specialty.  The general dentist is the best place to go for the general maintenance and upkeep of your teeth.  But if you need the very best care and focus in a particular type of work that you need to have done in your mouth, then you should see a specialist.  My best hope is that general dentists know when to do the work themselves, and when to know that a referral is in order.

Why am I saying all this?  Because if I wanted a tooth implant or replacement, I would want a dentist who primarily does teeth replacement and restoration......as opposed to a dentist, who fills a cavity one day, does a crown the next, and then a general checkup the day after.  I want somebody, who does dental implants, restoration or veneers every single day he goes into the office.

It sounds like you are leaning toward going back to your original dentist.  I think he was correct in advising you that an implant was preferable to a bridge.  I have always though of bridgework as a less expensive, low risk quick fix.  There are probably some cases where patients have no choice and have to do bridgework.  But in a perfect world, everyone would get an implant.  Since my gut tells me I like your original dentist, go back and ask him what he thinks of the idea of you seeing a Prosthodontist.  This would fit my "personal opinion" that a specialist usually does the best work.

Don't be embarrassed to go back to your old dentist.  He may even take satisfaction in being right, or "I told you so."  Your embarrassment will only last for that office visit....but your teeth that you live with are for a lifetime.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble