Dentistry/Second Crown/Pain

I am so frustrated.  I had a crown done about 15 years ago.  I got decay under the tooth, my dentist told me to pull it, and have an implant.  I have been going to this particular dentist my whole life.  He always seems to manage to find a way to spend thousands of dollars even with insurance.  I didn't want an implant, I wanted a bridge..he said that was old school.  I go to another dentist and he says, I can clean the decay, operate on the gum line and crown this.  I agree and I'm happy.  The problem is, now I have major gum pain, my gum bleeds, along with the rest of the teeth surrounding the crown.  I have felt that this was not put in correctly, or maybe my last dentist was correct in stating he couldn't save the tooth.  I wonder if this new dentist just wanted the money and the patient.  I'm so annoyed.  So now, my gum is so sore, never felt like it healed properly, hurts to floss and is tender all the time.  Also, I always feel like I have to floss this tooth, like something is stuck in there, but nothing is in there.  As an fyi, I get a cleaning every 3 months, I am always getting some major work done, I am constantly buying the best of everything for my teeth and I am still so disappointed.  NOw I feel like I shouldn't have this new dentist work on my tooth anymore, and I'm embarrassed to go back to my  old dentist.  I'm so aggravated with the dental world right does one person spend thousands yearly and yet is still unhappy..UGH.  Help..what is wrong with my tooth/gum line?  I also had a rootcanal on this tooth so I know it's not that.

Hi Robyn,

I am going to preface my answer with, "I am not a dentist" because I am about to go on a rant about one of my pet peeves!

My personal opinion is that a good general dentist, knows a little bit about most dental specialties, but is not the best expert in any particular specialty.  The general dentist is the best place to go for the general maintenance and upkeep of your teeth.  But if you need the very best care and focus in a particular type of work that you need to have done in your mouth, then you should see a specialist.  My best hope is that general dentists know when to do the work themselves, and when to know that a referral is in order.

Why am I saying all this?  Because if I wanted a tooth implant or replacement, I would want a dentist who primarily does teeth replacement and opposed to a dentist, who fills a cavity one day, does a crown the next, and then a general checkup the day after.  I want somebody, who does dental implants, restoration or veneers every single day he goes into the office.

It sounds like you are leaning toward going back to your original dentist.  I think he was correct in advising you that an implant was preferable to a bridge.  I have always though of bridgework as a less expensive, low risk quick fix.  There are probably some cases where patients have no choice and have to do bridgework.  But in a perfect world, everyone would get an implant.  Since my gut tells me I like your original dentist, go back and ask him what he thinks of the idea of you seeing a Prosthodontist.  This would fit my "personal opinion" that a specialist usually does the best work.

Don't be embarrassed to go back to your old dentist.  He may even take satisfaction in being right, or "I told you so."  Your embarrassment will only last for that office visit....but your teeth that you live with are for a lifetime.

Best Regards,
Patient Point of View

Jonathan at PatientBabble

My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my bite problem. I am not a doctor, but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. ////// I come from a family of dentists. My first house growing up was one of those residential/dentist combination homes and I was around the dental practice all the time. My teeth had always been perfect, and in many respects they still are. I have never had a cavity and my teeth are straight. About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." I have learned a lot over the years as I tried to figure out my problem from the Dentists, Speech Pathologists and assorted doctors that I have visited. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.

Twenty-Five years ago after my wisdom teeth were removed, my bite did not feel right and then had trouble speaking. For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. The years of searching for proper treatment has underscored the importance of understanding the relationship between dental and speech methodologies.///// To this end, and to further my research, I recently attended the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention (ASHA) in Atlanta. At ASHA I learned about a specialty within Speech Pathology termed “Orofacial Myology”. In laymen's terms Orofacial Myology Disorder (OMD) deals with the establishment of correct functional activities of the tongue, lips and jaw. OMD is a motor speech disorder that impacts the normal flow of speech, chewing or swallowing.///// If you believe that your struggles with your teeth also present speech, chewing or swallowing challenges, you may want to seek out a licensed Speech Language Pathologist.....preferably one that has training with Orofacial Myology Disorder.

Project Management Institute

Abridged Version of a Letter I Sent to a Health Care Professional (3/14/13): "..In my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth out. Almost immediately within a few days, something did not feel right in my mouth. I had trouble speaking. When I raised my tongue to try and touch my palate, I felt mostly just teeth. It is very cumbersome to talk and my bite also became a little bit off. If feels almost as if someone put a fork in my mouth and said "now try and speak." Very difficult. My articulation is fine, so to an observer I sound normal. But it takes a monumental effort, so I hate situations like talking on the phone or when somebody asks me to "tell them a story." ..I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. They just automatically gravitate to what they have heard about TMJ and assume I am either stressed, or just imagining it. Years later, I look back at all those dentists and doctors and I am amazed at how little they really knew about my condition. I have seen the best dentists, including my dad who is a Orthodontist in New York, to TMJ Dentists in Atlanta and Florida. No one ever suggested that Speech Pathology may be a direction I should explore. ..And I was frustrated by the fact that several MRI's over the years, showed nothing. How could the MRI’s show nothing, and at the same time, I know something does not feel right? I do wear a night guard to sleep in, but it does not fix the trouble that I have when I try to talk. ..I went with a Speech Pathologist friend of mine to the American Speech Language Hearing (ASHA) Convention last October in Atlanta...There was a Speech Pathologist at ASHA who was saying that sometimes when you have your Wisdom Teeth taken out "late" that it could possibly cause damage to the Trigeminal Nerve and surrounding muscles.” POSTSCRIPT: At ASHA, I discovered OROFACIAL MYOLOGY (OMD) which is a specialty in Speech Pathology that addresses Oral Muscular Issues.

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree, Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist