Dentistry/Soft Permanent Liner

Dr. Do you think by adding a soft permanent liner to my lower metal partial would add bulk so it sits up higher? It has sunken down to low and it is hard to chew my food. I over chew because of this. Would it put more pressure on my thin ridge, or help cushion it better? Thank You

Relining a partial denture with a soft or hard reline can help raise the bite. If the original partial was made with the correct bite and the framework still fits properly then a dentist can often add reline material under the saddle area of the partial and have the patient bite down with the partial in place. If the denture teeth are in occlusion and the frame work is seated properly this will work. If the denture teeth are out of occlusion then a reline alone will not provide an adequate occlusion. If the denture has been relined and the denture teeth are not in occlusion than a dentist has several options to improve the bite. He can 1) add acrylic to the occlusals of the denture teeth and then carve the additions to have the proper anatomy,or 2) add new denture teeth to the partial or 3) fabricate a new partial with a proper occlusion. In my practice my decision of how to handle this problem depends on a patient's finances and how well the partial framework is fitting. If the framework fits adequately and the patient desires to fix it I often will be willing to try options one or two, but if the framework isn't fitting properly I am more likely to strongly recommend a replacement of the partial entirely.

As to handling a spiny ridge, I do not necessarily recommend soft relines since they are more porous and have to be replaced more often. I usually recommend a hard reline and then relieve the denture saddle in the area that might place pressure on the "spine" of the ridge. This way my patient can chew with out it hurting the ridge.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics