Dentistry/Teeth protruding from top to botoom of mouth

Question
QUESTION: After I have a bottom molar extracted, and don't replace it with another tooth, will the top teeth, right above the extracted tooth, try to protrude downward.  I am age 73. The above tooth is a two teeth bridge.

ANSWER: Jim -  There is always a tendency throughout life for the teeth to erupt.  So there is a possiblity eruption can always occur.  If, however, either tooth of the upper bridge touches a lower tooth, no eruption will definitely occur to the tooth touching the lower extracted tooth.  That minimal touching is enough.

So if you have any touching relax.  

QUESTION: I sent you a question previously, but I think I didn't make myself clear as to my problem. I'll try again.

I have a missing tooth next to a broken off, bottom molar. I am thinking of having the broken molar extracted. Will the top teeth, right above the extracted teeth try to protrude downward if they don't have any tooth to touch? Can you explain the term "eruption" to me?

Answer
Jim -  The answer is yes.  Eruption is the tendency to teeth to grow out of the bone.  That means on the lower jaw they grow upwards and on the upper jaw they grow down.  If there are not teeth touching another tooth on the upper or lower jaw, those teeth will grow (erupt) until they are stopped.  If there is no tooth to touch, they will erupt and can eventually bite on the opposite jaw.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired