Dentistry/Temporary Fillings

Question
I had two root canals done on the 2nd December on my top front tooth and the one next to it due to having a large abscess covering the tips of both teeth, which were finished with two temporary fillings. I was advised that I should wait between 6 weeks and 6 months before having permanent fillings done. Is it better to go sooner rather than later? And will I need crowns fitted? What is the purpose of a crown and will they be obvious? The dentist indicated that I wouldn't need crowns but didn't explain why, she also said it was rare to have root canals done on the front teeth, and the only reason I got the infection was that one of my teeth was knocked out nearly seven years ago, and put back in. How could this take seven years to happen? The two teeth which were treated have absolutely no feeling and I had the root canals with no anaesthetic and didn't feel a thing, will this affect the strength of my teeth?

Thanks in advance E

Answer
Hi Emma,

Thank you for your question.  Yes, I would have to agree with your dentist that root canals on the front teeth are rare.  In fact, I don't even think I ever heard of it.

If it were me, I would use the sooner than later approach through this whole thing.  Try to find a board certified Prosthodontist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosthodontics).  And since your case appears to be more about dental health and function, then it is about cosmetics, I would investigate whether your medical or dental insurance would cover your treatment.  I would consult with the benefits person at the dental office before contacting your insurance company.

Since your root canal was on your front teeth, I would consider options that go beyond just capping or crowning those teeth. Your two front teeth are going to be up front and center for the rest of your life, so you want to make sure it is done right. Over the past 20 years or so, dental veneers have become very popular.  They look better, but are also more expensive.

Talk with your Prosthodontist and let him/her advise you.  You may also want to get a couple of opinions.

Let me know how it turns out.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble