Dentistry/tmj, new crown and cheek biting

Question
I recently had a crown put on tooth #14. this tooth had 2 root canals prior to the crown. The prep was done with very little anesthetic ( no epi), The crown is a Cerec so it was done on site as I waited.
I have had TMJ problems over the past 30+ years and have had no new crowns since becoming asymptomatic for the past 5 years. I had a previous dentist that was able to establish my bite placing composite on my posterior teeth. Not pretty but did the job when no one else could solve my problem
After an hour or so the anesthetic wore off and the crown was placed without any more anesthetic. When the Dr. checked my bite I said that I am biting my cheek way in the back. He adjusted and said it should go away. Now, during the day periodically I bite my cheek and at night when I sleep on my side the cheek tissue falls into that area and is very sore.
I went back to the dentist he did a little adjusting, I said that tissue is still going into my teeth. He said there is nothing he can do about it, said that I bit it  while numb (which did not happen, as the first time he checked my bite I told him that the tissue is falling into that area. He said to stop biting it and be careful, he said it is swollen from biting it over and over and that it is not from the shaping of the crown.I asked how do I stop biting it when it is happening involuntarily in my sleep. I asked will it go away and he said he hopes so.
He says the articulating paper is not showing anything out of the ordinary, however after years of TMJ and knowing that the slightest shift in my bite also throws off my joint which after 9 years of being asymptomatic is now starting to hurt.
I really like my dentist but feel that he was very frustated when I insisted that it has to be the crown,  I have had this cheek biting happen before after dental work and it was corrected after reshaping the crown or filling. He said that the shaping of a crown does not cause cheek biting if the crown is not too high.
how long do I wait for this to clear up, or should I seek another Dentist?

Answer
Hi Dawn,

I feel your frustration.  Over the years I have had similar frustrations in dentists offices happen to me.

First, you have to understand that not even the best dentists can know what your feeling inside your mouth.  So I am definitely behind you, when you say that you think it is your crown or filling.  Don't sway from your convictions about what you are experiencing.  At the same time, I do believe that your dentist was using the right trouble-shooting methodology with the "articulating paper."  That is what is leaving him to believe that it is not your crown.

I am going to give you a quick analogy and a clue as to what might fix your problem.  The analogy is this: Over the years, I have had different things happen to my computer.  Sometimes it was hard to figure out what to do to fix whatever issue the computer was having.  But over and over again, the most common remedy would simply be to shut the computer down and then restart it.  A lot of the computer issues would simply go away, by just restarting the computer again.  Usually we never knew why restarting the computer fixed an issue.  But the important thing was that some how it worked, even if we did not know why.

So what does all this mean?  Perhaps if your dentist would just re-do the work, that may help.  I do like what you have said about him in your question and it does sound like he has experience with bite problems.  And to answer your question.....I would be very proactive about this and not wait.  If you need to go for a second opinion, or find another dentist, then do so.  All I ask is that the dentist you select be someone whose primary everyday work is TMJ and Bite Problems.

Since you have TMJ, am I correct to assume that you wear a night guard when sleeping?  Perhaps that may prevent you from biting on your cheek.  If you do not have a night guard, then seek out a dentist whose primary work is TMJ and Bite Problems.  Any dentist can make a piece of plastic and put it in your mouth.  That's no trick.  What you want is a dentist who has had a lot of practice making night guards.  It is truly an art form.

I hope you find the comfort you are looking for.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble