Dentistry/Tooth pain without cavities?

Question
Hello!

Four months ago I went to the dentist and had a few fillings and drillings. I was diagnosed with gingivitis, but given advice on how to treat it. Everything was good.

Now, I'm diabetic so I need to keep candy around in case my glucose plummets. My glucose was a little low, so I picked up a candy bar, bit into it, and the absolute -worst- pain imaginable affected not all of my teeth, but just a few or several long, agonizing seconds..

.. the confusing thing is that these were the teeth the dentist had worked on and fixed. There should be no cavity (I hope not!), so that got me to thinking.

Is it possible to have pains in a select few teeth without necessarily having cavities? Is this a form of sensitivity? If so, why doesn't it affect all my teeth and why doesn't it hurt when I brush?

p.s: I use tooth-paste specifically designed for sensitive teeth, so that probably already answers my last question!

Answer
Hi Andrew,

Yes, this can be normal.

It can be that the tooth/teeth are just sensitive after the filling(s) were completed. Sometimes, it can take up to 2-4 weeks for the sensitivity to subside.

Also, if you do bite into something in an awkward manner, this can cause pain on the ligament of the tooth and translate into pain. This will last for a period of time until it subsides.

The main thing to look for is that this was an isolated incident and does not keep happening. If it does keep recurring, then you want to return to your dentist for an examination of the area.  

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD