Dentistry/Tooth pain without cavities?

Four months ago I went to the dentist and had a few fillings and drillings. I was diagnosed with gingivitis, but given advice on how to treat it. Everything was good.

Now, I'm diabetic so I need to keep candy around in case my glucose plummets. My glucose was a little low, so I picked up a candy bar, bit into it, and the absolute -worst- pain imaginable affected not all of my teeth, but just a few or several long, agonizing seconds..

.. the confusing thing is that these were the teeth the dentist had worked on and fixed. There should be no cavity (I hope not!), so that got me to thinking.

Is it possible to have pains in a select few teeth without necessarily having cavities? Is this a form of sensitivity? If so, why doesn't it affect all my teeth and why doesn't it hurt when I brush?

p.s: I use tooth-paste specifically designed for sensitive teeth, so that probably already answers my last question!

Hi Andrew,

Yes, this can be normal.

It can be that the tooth/teeth are just sensitive after the filling(s) were completed. Sometimes, it can take up to 2-4 weeks for the sensitivity to subside.

Also, if you do bite into something in an awkward manner, this can cause pain on the ligament of the tooth and translate into pain. This will last for a period of time until it subsides.

The main thing to look for is that this was an isolated incident and does not keep happening. If it does keep recurring, then you want to return to your dentist for an examination of the area.  

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR