Dentistry/What should I do to try and preventent /slow down bone loss

I am a 53 yr old healthy female.  I had 14 teeth pulled in DEC 2012 and now am very concerned that I made a big uneducated mistake.

I was advised 5 of the teeth were urgent extractions and that the rest were moderately loose, thus would not be the ideal candidates for bridge anchors.  At the time I was totally unaware of the devastating bone loss that occurs so quickly with missing teeth or I only would have choose to only have the 5 urgent extractions at that time and deal with the loose teeth at a later time.  But that is all hindsight now :(

My remaining natural teeth are:
Top: 13,12,11,21,22,23 ( not so great, but can last awhile longer)
Bottom: 4,43,42,41,31,32,33,34,35 (all healthy)

Please advise what would be my best plan of action to restore my chewing function, prevent bone loss as much as possible with my available funds.

I have 1500 in dental insurance available and a personal credit line 4000.

Also, what level of dental specialist should i seek out to preform your recommendations?  Cost is a concern, but I would rather get quality work done in phases as I can afford them as opposed to  a "bargain" package deal of poor quality materials i or procedures that would not have the best long term function.

The bone loss issue is my biggest concern !

Thank you so very very very much for participating in this wonderful forum!!!!  I am completely lost  as to what I should do next and cant afford any more mistakes!

Dear Cindy:
I am sorry for the delay.  I actually answered your question, but It did not register and I just came to it again.
Since you are limited in funds, you MUST make correct decisions and go to the appropriate person.  I am glad you are taking ownership of the problem.  Good for you.
The specialist you should see is called a Prosthodontist.  It is the specialist in restorative, cosmetic, and implant dentistry.  Prosthodontists receive three extra years of training after dental school in a competitive program to be experts in the treatment you require.
Unfortunately, I cannot give you a treatment plan or an evaluation over this limited forum.  That requires a complete examination, x-rays and can only be done in person.
You can goto: and look up a Prosthodontist near you.  In addition, a local dental school should have a Department of Prosthodontics where you can get a proper professional opinion at a much reduced cost, but it usually takes longer to bee seen.
The Prosthodontist will evaluate the periodontal condition of your remaining teeth and determine what the proper restoration should be.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.