Dentistry/Vaseline on teeth

Why would dentist put vaseline on teeth after they do fillings?

Hi Beth,

I don't know!
To make an educated guess, it may be one of the following;

1. Sometimes vaseline is placed on the teeth to help check the bite. That little paper you bite into shows the dentist your bite. The vaseline helps it show up clearer.

2. To prevent your lip or tongue from scraping against it while you're numb, he/she may place vaseline on it. That way, if you accidentally rub against it while you're numb, it won't lacerate your soft tissues.

3. If it was a temporary crown (and not a filling), then the vaseline may be used to help hold the provisional.

4. It makes the teeth look good!

I hope this helps!  

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR