Dentistry/Vaseline on teeth

Question
Why would dentist put vaseline on teeth after they do fillings?

Answer
Hi Beth,

I don't know!
To make an educated guess, it may be one of the following;

1. Sometimes vaseline is placed on the teeth to help check the bite. That little paper you bite into shows the dentist your bite. The vaseline helps it show up clearer.

2. To prevent your lip or tongue from scraping against it while you're numb, he/she may place vaseline on it. That way, if you accidentally rub against it while you're numb, it won't lacerate your soft tissues.

3. If it was a temporary crown (and not a filling), then the vaseline may be used to help hold the provisional.

4. It makes the teeth look good!

I hope this helps!  

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD