Dentistry/White resin filling hurting

Question
Hello, just had a metal filling replaced and after the fact found out my dentist no longer uses metal but white resin.  I was shocked that white was used without even informing me and now 10 days later tooth hurts along with being insanely sensitive and having to take ibuprofen all day. Just saw him today and he says even though a new X-ray shows my filling isn't that close to nerve that I need a route canal right away.  I am shocked because the metal filing I had for 10 years never bugged me and only had a small crack that occasional food got stuck on and now because of my dentist wanting to do a preventative filling I am looking at a route canal and crown.  He swears that the white resin has nothing to do with my sensitivity but I was told by a friend who just had the same thing happen that her dentist said white resin is my prone to hurting the pulp and causing this problem leading to a route canal.  Should I be upset my dentist never even told me he was doing a white in place metal?  I have used Jim for 7 years and turn down white and go for the metal for my entire family every time because we can afford it. I feel like he should has informed me he was using white which I would have rejected again and should have told me that there is a higher risk of the white making my tooth more sensitive and leading to future problems.  Should I be upset??? I am confused and don't know what to do. He have me a prescription to start on mess for route canal he wants me to schedule tomorrow but I don't know if I can trust him. Once I do the route canal I will be forced to fork over the $500 for the crown and I can't afford it. I feel like by him using this white resin he has caused damage that can not be taken back.    Thank you. Michael

Answer
Dear Michael:
STOP! Do not proceed with any root canal treatments!  White, composite restorations can and do cause sensitivity.  Sometimes it is due to the material itself, but many times it is due to improper technique of placement.  I cannot possibly comment on that, since I am not there to examine you and/or evaluate the quality of the work.  Nevertheless, in situations like yours, which happen quite often,  you should not rush for root canal therapy.  The filling material should be taken out of the tooth, and a sedative restoration called IRM, should be placed for at least 2 weeks.  If the cavity is far from the nerve, as your dentist stated, the Tooth should spontaneously recover.  A different material can them be used to restore the tooth to proper form and function.  If you have any doubts about the vitality of the tooth, you should be evaluated by a root canal specialist, an endodontist to evaluate the need for a root canal.
Please do not proceed with any other treatment.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.