Dentistry/Yellow spot on tonsil

My husband has two yellow patches on his tonsils that won't come off. He has tonsil stones alot so be thought that's what it was but ESP the back one will not come off. Most tonsil stones come off but this spot looks embedded underneith the tonsil mucosa. Is this anything serious he needs to see a doctor for? Will this spot remain and if it does is it anything to worry about? Since he chews Iam always concerned of cancer, it's the first thing that pops into my mind. Thanks.

Right side

Kim - Of course without examining him I cannot be sure, but the picture may indicate a trap of inflammatory cells in the area.  It is not dangerous, but my suggestion is for him to begin warm salt water rinses in the back of the the throat near these yellow area.  Have him rinse the area for about 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  The rinses should help to allow drainage of the area and help eliminae them within a couple weeks

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude