Dentistry/Anesthesia or novacaine

During a root canal on #3 Doctor told me the root had a crack in it.  She stopped the treatment and closed the tooth back up.  Said I needed the tooth extracted.  My insurance will cover novacain but not anesthesia for the extraction.  I'm concerned that the tooth will fragment where the crack is upon extraction.  If that happens will novacain be enough or will I wish I had paid the extra for anesthesia?

Dan  - Novacaine is enough if the doctor performing the extraction is a skilled surgeon.  If not, the doctor might create significant trauma and you might be uncomfortable.  So I suggest that novacaine is okay if an oral and maxillofacial surgeon extracts the tooth.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude