Dentistry/Anesthesia or novacaine

Question
During a root canal on #3 Doctor told me the root had a crack in it.  She stopped the treatment and closed the tooth back up.  Said I needed the tooth extracted.  My insurance will cover novacain but not anesthesia for the extraction.  I'm concerned that the tooth will fragment where the crack is upon extraction.  If that happens will novacain be enough or will I wish I had paid the extra for anesthesia?
Thanks

Answer
Dan  - Novacaine is enough if the doctor performing the extraction is a skilled surgeon.  If not, the doctor might create significant trauma and you might be uncomfortable.  So I suggest that novacaine is okay if an oral and maxillofacial surgeon extracts the tooth.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired