Dentistry/Biopsy results

My husband got the results of his tongue biopsy today and good news it showed chronic mild inflammation, squamous epithelial hyperplasia and parakertosis. The oral surgeon was again not very easy to talk to and when I asked him if he saw the pictures and cut the right area he said yes. I asked him what could cause this and he said really anything like bitting your tongue. I know since the area had been persistent for over a month and a half if could not be a tongue bite. I did ask him about geographic tongue and he said it could be. But his last tongue biopsy said it was inflammation consistent with gt and this one just have the results stated above. So I gies my question is could this be caused from geographic tongue or the inflammation from gt?

ANSWER: Hi Kim and thanks for the follow up.

As I said previously, now is the time for you to develop your trust in the hands which are helping you and your husband. You now have the certainty that your husband does not have oral cancer, as confirmed with a biopsy and specialist report on the matter.  The diagnosis chronic inflammation is hardly surprising, given the overwhelming evidence of existing GT in your husband. So whether the lesion biopsied is related to GT or not, really has no relevance or significance because there is no viable treatment for either GT or chronic inflammation of another origin, which would greatly improve or eradicate this condition in your husband. And given that having GT does not predispose any patient to an increased risk of developing secondary sequelae later, directly or indirectly, confirmation of this diagnosis must be welcomed warmly in your family. Give your husband my congrats on the diagnosis as well and take care.

Kind regards

I am trying my best to trust that the correct spot was biopsied and fight the urge of second guessing bc I know that is just my anxiety kicking in. What I do want to know is the cause of the inflammation? So giving the findings of the biopsy do you think this is gt ? I know it doesn't really matter ether way but I would like to know bc there has been studies looking if whether chronic irritation can lead to cancer. Some oral cancer survivors believes that's what caused there cancer in the first place. If this inflammation is not gt then what would cause inflammation which was unchanged for over a month and a half? What does this biopsy findings point to? It just would like a definitive answer as to what cussed the spot for that dueTion of time and to me gt makes the most scenes and gives me the most comfort. So is hyperplasia, inflammation and parakertosis point to gt as a diagnosis? Thanks.

Hi Kim

You seem to be losing your original train of thought - the purpose of the biopsy was to eliminate the possibility of oral cancer, which it duly did.  It was not to diagnose the obvious, which we have know for some time now, which is the existing GT which your husband has. Why would the absence of oral cancer infer anything else?  The fact that histological characteristics of hyperplasia, parakeratosis and inflammation were co-incidentally identified in the biopsy sample, is hardly remarkable given the presence of GT - this is not new. With that diagnosis confirmed several times, why are you looking for another source of the inflammation and why would you associate any inflammotric change with the possibility of developing cancer.  If that were the case, then every human being, from infant to elderly, would be riddled with cancer.  What works in one person is not the gold standard for the progression of that illness and interpretation of literature that is being read must be done so with thorough knowledge of the subject content.  Your preoccupation with the possibility of your husband developing oral cancer is going to destroy you and I remind you of your statement a little while ago....all you wanted was a clean biopsy report from the specialist, which you got loud and clear, but still you carry on. Kim, I truly cannot do any more for you and your questions are now going in circles, coming back to the original ones some months back.  Take care and please seek the professional help you need in order to put this all to rest.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.