Dentistry/bite misalignment and TMJ

Question
I have suffered over the years with TMJ pain mainly connected to neck and back issues. I have learned stretches and relaxation methods to help with that pain and had almost eliminated it until recently. I had to have a root canal done and since then my bite has not been the same. I have been in for a couple of re-adjustments since then but still the pain in my jaw continues along with sensitive teeth. I feel like one adjustment leads to another adjustment and I don't know what to do next. I feel like I have "opened a can of worms"! What would you suggest?

Answer
Hello Martha,

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry you have been having so much pain after your root canal.

I have recently read articles that one of the TMJ triggers is having your jaw stretched too wide and for too long during a dental procedure.  Do you remember how long you were sitting in the dental chair?

And what do you mean by "adjustments?"  Are you saying that your teeth are being filed or shaped??

Ok, first, I believe there is a good chance that you can regain your original bite.  I would like for you to seek out the help of a dentist that specializes in TMJ.  Most dentists will say that they treat TMJ and can make you an night guard appliance.  But I would like for you to find a dentist whose primary work is treating TMJ cases and has had a lot of practice making night guards.  

Any dentist can take impressions and then send them to a lab to create your night guard.  That's no trick.  What you want is a dentist who is constantly fitting night guards for their patients on a weekly basis. It really is an art form that is a challenge for even the best dentists.  So not to belabor the point any further.....find the right board certified dentist for the job.

Second, the word "adjustments" worries me.  I have had some people describe that to me to mean teeth filing in an attempt to correct a bite.  That is a slippery slope because in all likelihood the teeth filing is an irreversible process with no guarantees that your bite will feel any better.

Third, I have recently purchased an excellent eBook off Amazon called "The TMJ Healing Plan" by Cynthia Peterson.  There is a lot of good insight and helpful information in there, with some specific information about what can be done when your bite is off.  I highly encourage you to order it.....and specifically look for two exercises they mention to help correct your bite....The first exercise is called "Orbiting" and the second exercise is called the "Tongue Waggle."

I think my suggestions should provide you with some encouragement.  Don't hesitate, act quickly to correct your problem.

Thanks again for your question, and let me know how you are progressing.

Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble