Dentistry/Bonding and sensitivity

I had two upper teeth bonded (to address recession of the gum) a few weeks ago and I have had significant sensitivity to both cold and hot ever since. One of the bondings was a re-do for  a bonding on that tooth that had fallen off after several years. The other one, adjacent to the re-done one, was done for the first time. I told the dentist because I had a return visit for a crown and he said that happens sometimes and it should get better after several weeks. It is very uncomfortable - I can't even eat a piece of fruit out of the refrigerator near that area (upper left of my mouth) without feeling the pain. It is also sensitive to heat, but not as badly. I am using Sensodyne to help, but it's been two weeks now. Did the dentist do something wrong? He has done other bondings for me and I have never had this experience. Thanks.

Dear Dave:
Unfortunately, the bonding process itself can generate tremendous sensitivity and sometimes outright pain in many people.  Up to 25% of restorations can elicit the same symptoms you are experiencing.  If the symptoms do not subside within a couple of weeks, it is generally best to have the fillings removed and replaced.  That usually does the trick.  Do not wait too long.  This condition you have is called: reversible pulpitis.  It will become Irreversible Pulpitis if left alone.  The teeth will die and will require root canal treatment and crowns, which are a much more expensive and invasive solutions.  Please talk to your dentist about it right away.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.