Dentistry/chipped lower front lateral incisor

Question
I am embarrassed to say I am 34 yrs old and have not been to the dentist in 10 yrs. I have a huge phobia now mainly because I know I have a lot of work that needs to be addressed with my teeth. I have let my wisdom teeth grow in because they grew in normal besides a couple tooth aches. Lately I have noticed tho that they have moved my teeth and my two front lower incisor teeth are starting to jam together, I'm assuming from all the pressure from my bottom wisdom teeth that grew in. I am pretty sure I have gingivitis as well. Now the problem...this morning I thought I had food stuck in my lower front lateral incisor and used a toothpick to get it out and I ended up chipping my actual tooth (the part on the bottom of the tooth connecting to my lower gum line# I now can kinda see the root of that tooth and I noticed the tooth next to it has the same bulge there #looks like food..im assuming tooth decay?)so I haven't messed with that one. I can see and feel a little hole there and I am freaking out because I don't want to lose my teeth :( I have finally made an apt for the morning for an exam. I was just wondering what are some options that they might have to do? Also, I only have state insurance (Medicaid) but its full coverage. Is is possible I'm going to lose my teeth? Also, do you know anything about state insurance as far as will they still work on my teeth but could they put me on a payment plan if Medicaid didn't cover everything? I am so scared to go to this apt in the morning. I just feel so embarrassed for neglecting my teeth for so long that it had to come to this.

Answer
Hi Jessica and thanks for your question.

Firstly let me just say well done on taking the first steps to return yourself to routine dental care.  I know full well how difficult is can be, having done extensive work with dental phobia over the past years and until someone experiences the frustration and despair of being held hostage by your own mind, they will never fully understand the concept of phobia.

From what you explained, it really doesn't sound too drastic and I have found that most patients have the ability to blow up the situation worse than what is found clinically, probably as a sub-conscious trick to avoid dental treatment - so don't let yourself be fooled into not going to the dentist because of what you think is wrong.  Let your dentist evaluate the situation and communicate with you over what the diagnosis, what the possible treatment is, what the costs are.  Communication is vital for your successful return to the world of dentistry and please be completely honest with your dentist at all times - about this condition and every other aspect which you feel is important.  If you need to break or want some air, say so - don't just lie there feeling helpless and out of control.  It remains your body and mouth and you have full control over what is being done to it all ALL times.  Find a dentist whom you trust and get along with and with whom you can talk easily with about issues which concern you - and when in doubt, get a second opinion or shop around for other options.

The world of medical insurance is just too extensive for clinicians to stay abreast with all the various plans available today, but discuss your financial issues with your dentist and most will gladly come to some form of agreement - most have payment packages readily available for this reason.

With regard to your immediate dental problem, I feel that it would not be ethical to give you a long list of possible dental diagnosis without be able to examine you personally.  That would only get your mind spirally out of control for no reason.  Have a good rest tonite and put your faith in the hands which are going to heal you, in the knowledge that you are doing the best to help yourself and in getting your oral health optimal again.  Proud of you.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the very best further, especially for tomorrow. Take care

Kindest regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)