Dentistry/crown replacement

Due to a gap in between 2 crowns that were allowing food to be trapped all the time, my dentist said he would replace one crown to fix the gap. Last weekend I had the crown removed and a temp crown put on. Its almost a week a later and my jawline is still sore to the touch and slightly swollen, plus a bruise on the outside of my cheek. Its not real painful or anything just noticeably there. Is that normal?  
Thank you,

Hello Kelly,

I am not sure what method was used to remove the crown from your tooth but it's possible that the effort that was made has caused this problem.  I would not say it's normal, especially since you were bruised.  I have seen this happen after an extraction or occasionally if an injection happens to break a blood vessel but I don't think I've seen it in cases such as yours. If you can be a bit more specific on the technique used to remove the crown I might be able to answer you better. It's not normal for this discomfort but I don't think there is a reason for concern as I'm pretty confident that it will all resolve.

Thomas Karmen

All general dentistry questions, especially those related to fixed prosthetics. Endodontics, Periodontics, and implants, minor oral surgery I can't answer much about othodontics nor advanced treatment of carcinoma nor deep tissue surgery nor osseous surgery such as jaw reduction or advancement.

DDS In general practice and consulting with having done some lecturing for local dental societies.

ADA and Florida Dental Association and Iowa Dental association

DDS degree