Dentistry/crown & silver fillings

Question
HI DR KAURANI I WANT TO THANK YOU IN ADVANCE TO ANSWERING THIS QUESTIONS..THE OTHER DAY I HAD A CROWN DONE ON ONE OF MY BACK UPPER TOOTH [SORRY DON'T KNOW WHAT #IT IS]I HAVE NEVER HAD A CROWN BEFORE WITHOUT A ROOT CANAL,SO THIS IS THE FIRST ONE..I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS TOOTH AT ALL BEFORE THE CROWN..MY DENTIST TOLD ME THAT THE TOOTH WAS CHIPPING IN SPOTS AND HE DID NOT THINK A FILLING WAS THE WAY TO GO WITH THIS TOOTH. SO I AGREED AND HE DID THE CROWN..HE WILL NOT PUT THE PERMANENT ONE ON FOR 3 MORE WEEKS..I JUST HAVE THE TEMP ONE ON IT NOW..MY QUESTION IS THIS TOOTH IS NOW COLD SENSATIVE AND I REALLY CAN NOT CHEW ANY THING THAT REALLY NEEDS CHEWING...IS THIS NORMAL AND WILL IT GO AWAY ONCE THE PERMANENT CROWN IS INSTALLED ? THE TOOTH IS OK WITH HOT THINGS JUST COLD BOTHERS IT.. WHICH I THINK IS JUST BECAUSE THE TOOTH IS IN SHOCK ??? IF THIS IS THE CASE ANY IDEA ON HOW LONG THIS SHOULD LAST ???? I DO NOT WANT TO PUT THE CROWN ON IT AND THEN NEED A ROOT CANAL..LAST QUESTION..WHAT IS YOUR FEELINGS ON THESE NEW WHITE COMPOSITE FILLINGS OVER SILVER. I DO HAVE SOME OF THE WHITE NOW AND SO FAR I LIKE THEM. MY DENTIST SAYS THEY SEAL BETTER AND IF THEY NEED TO BE REPAIRED HE WILL NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE FILLING JUST REPAIR IT...I HAVE 3 OLD SILVER FILLINGS THAT ARE ABOUT 30 YEARS OLD AND MY DENTIST WANTS TO REMOVE THEM..I THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA,WHAT SAY YOU..THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR TIME,,,TOM.

Answer
hi tom
the spot diagnosis for your sensitivity to cold is leaking margins of the temporary crown.... in a vital tooth (one that does'nt have root canal). a mere change of the temporary crown is indicated to solve your problem.

white fillings are great! i have been doing them since ages now and its wonderful. go ahead!

best wishes
dr m  

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS