Dentistry/Denture liner

Question
Dr. What do you think about soft permanent liner's on an upper denture? Are the easy to adjust, and what are the con's? I have had a reline and a rebase both this year, and my upper denture keeps coming back very thin and sparse. When I hold it up to light you can see right through it and it is hurting my gums. Thank You

Answer
Dear Janice:
There are two issues here.
1.  The thickness of your denture has nothing to do with your comfort.  It has to do with ultimate strength of the denture over time and the thinner it is,, the more it is subject to fracture.   At the same time, if the denture is too thick, it will interfere with your speech pattern and function.  There is a recommended denture thickness that your dentist and laboratory should be able to produce for you.
2.  The other issue, which to you is much more important, is the fit of the denture.  Denture fabrication is art based on science.  It is actually difficult to produce a perfectly fitting denture.  Much of it also depends on a compliant patient who is willing to "work out the kinks" as he/she is getting used to the denture.  
As  to the relines... Long term, a hard reline, better yet a laboratory hard rebase, is far superior to the soft ones.  Soft relines tend to absorb saliva and bacteria over time.  They smell and are nearly impossible to clean.  The acrylic is porous and also weakens the denture.  It is a last resort as a long term prosthetic, and is mostly used during healing of surgical phases, or as teeth are extracted and a new denture wearer is getting used to wearing a denture.  Having said that, I do have a few patients who absolutely cannot and will not wear a hard denture.  They are resigned to changing the soft reline every three months, or so.
If you are having fit issues, the best thing to do is to talk to your dentist about using a material called "tissue conditioner".    It is similar to a soft reline, but you wear it for a week or so, and then you give it back to your dentist who will have the laboratory process the reline in hard acrylic.  This is, by far, the best way to obtain a great final impression and rebase of a denture.
If you are still having issues, the specialist in the area is called a Prosthodontist.  www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a specially trained dentist (Prosthodontist) in your area.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.