Dentistry/extreme pain and swelling

Question
My wisdom teeth just have the tops of their heads showing. However the one the bottom left has been cause me extreme pain for about 3 days. I have tried Advil and Orajel to deal with the pain, but they do nothing, and now the left side of my face is swollen. Dentists have told me they can not do anything about the wisdom teeth till they are fully through; however this pain is keeping me up all night, and I can not chew food because of this pain. Please I need advice on what I can do to help manage the pain till it passes.

Answer
Hi Rebecca and thanks for your question.

You almost certainly have a condition called pericoronitis, which simply means an infection around the emerging crown of a wisdom tooth - and I know from experience how painful it is.  If the condition is left unmanaged and untreated, it will resolve itself in about 7-10 days. Remember just to make sure that your oral hygiene is optimal, even though the area is painful and salt/bicarb rinses can be very beneficial in aiding healing - 1 teasp of salt and 1/2 teasp bicarb dissolved in 1/2 glass of warm water and rinse out your mouth at least 5x/day and after each meal.  This ensures optimal pH of your mouth which keeps the pathogenic, or harmful, bacteria at bay.

Ideally, to facilitate the area returning to normal, your dentist should have prescribed you a course of antibiotics, to reduce the active infection around the wisdom tooth.  It is never advisable to have a tooth removed when active infection is present, because of the risk of spread into the blood stream or adjacent areas. But once the infection has cleared up, you could make an appointment to get the offending tooth/teeth extracted, either by your dentist or with a referral to an oral surgeon, possibly even under general anaesthetic if you so wish.  Don't be fooled once the pericoronitis has healed and you are pain free, because if left untreated, it will return in a few months, usually affecting the lower wisdoms more than the top because of the greater limitation of space in the lower jaw for the tooth to erupt into normal alignment, which causes a flap to gum to overly the emerging crown of the tooth and due to occlusal or biting trauma from the opposing teeth and food being trapped underneath, it becomes infected.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in resolving this problem and your pain speedily.  Take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)