You are here:

Dentistry/eye tooth extraction


2yrs ago during a root canal of left eye tooth a brooch was dropped in tooth. Now i am suffering w sinus issues including major pressure in left eye/congestion.The dentist never cleaned nor sealed the tooth.An endo dentist is out of the question but would like to know the problems that can be associated with leaving the tooth and object  alone? Can this object really be causing these major sinus problems? Would cutting the tooth out by an oral surgeon be a good idea? How exactly is a tooth cut out and the side effects???

Hi Donna,

I'm sorry to hear all this is going on. Hopefully I can help sort things out for you.

The fact that you have an instrument in your tooth would not be causing these problems. All our instruments are compatible with bone and gums because, unfortunately, some are broken and left in teeth, like yours. However, the fact that the tooth was never finished could certainly be causing some of your problems. In essence, you may have an abscessed tooth. The symptoms of an abscess are pain, pressure, swelling, soreness to bite. You will NOT feel cold sensitivity, but it might be possible that heat makes things worse. An abscess can also refer pain to other areas. You could also be experiencing sinus trouble which may not be related to the tooth at all.

At this point, you really need to see a dentist, first, for an examination to determine if the tooth is a source of the problem. If not, then you may need a physician, possibly an ENT specialist, to check out your sinuses. Until you have a diagnosis of what is causing the problem, I would hole off on any extraction. The tooth could be removed, if necessary, and is actually a pretty easy procedure. The tooth is numbed and then eased out with forceps. The biggest downside is you will have a hole in the front of your mouth and if you want to replace that hole, you would need a bridge or an implant...both MUCH more expensive than have the root canal completed.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD


I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.


25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.

©2017 All rights reserved.