Dentistry/facial asymetry

Question
I have been diagnosed for years with tmj.  All treatments failed and some made me worse. I have neck pain left side, tinnitus buzzing one side, ringing in the other. For years there was something not right about one side of my face.  It wasn't until a few months ago that I was told that one side of my jaw is longer than the other, my left eyebrow is lower and my left check is not as defined and full. This comes twenty years after the tmj began and no other dentist picked up on this.  Is it possible if I have the corrective surgery that the neck pain, tinnitus and dizziness could go away. Right now I can barely open my mouth and my teeth do not meet.  Thank you Patricia

Answer
Patricia -  I wish I could definitely tell you if any treatment would help, but without examining you are evaluating xrays of the area it is a little difficult.  if there is an asymmetry of your face and along with the symptoms you describe, it might be a good idea to have yourself properly evaluated by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  It might be a simple treatment, but the only way to know and be sure the advice and treatment you might undergo is to see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  

If you are unaware of one near you, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names of appropriate surgeons near you.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired