Dentistry/Genetics?

Question
Dear Dr. Moss.

Thank you for this wonderful free service you offer!

I was wondering if there is a genetic aspect to caries (in addition to oral care and diet)? I am 29 years old and I have always taken excellent care of my teeth, including brushing and flossing at least twice a day, avoiding acidic, sugary and starchy foods and visiting the dentist every six months. Despite this, I have many deep fillings on the verge of needing root canals and I require a new or replacement filling at almost every check-up. My mother and one of my brothers (who also took great care of their own teeth) lost their teeth in their 30s (both due to extensive decay).

One of my other brothers, who is a couple of years older than I am, drinks three to five cans of soda daily, eats a lot of junk food and has a very acidic and sugary diet in general, and brushes his teeth only once or twice a week. He went to the dentist a couple of months ago (for the first time in over six years!) and he did not have a single cavity! The only cavities he has are two very small ones placed over ten years ago. I asked my dentist about this and he said genetics or 'luck' plays very little to no part in caries development, but I find this hard to understand.

My dentist says my brushing and flossing is fine, but I am really concerned about losing my own teeth, despite my very best efforts to take care of them.

Thank you for your response!

Answer
DEar Mathew,
I agree with you genetics does play a big part in susceptibility to caries.
However you will be surprised to learn that diet plays only a small role in people who are not susceptible.
In your own case  from your description, my feeling is that your problem is due more to your salivary production and flow patterns.  Either you are not producing enough , or for some reason their is a deficiency.  Hard to tell without examining you personally.
Flossing and brushing daily doesnt do much to help when you have that kind of condition.
The mineral for tooth repair comes from the saliva, not from the dentifrice.
Hope this helps a little, I am sorry you are having so many problems with your teeth.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

Dentistry

Stephen J. Moss