Dentistry/Implant feels loose

I had implant done on #30 a year ago;it feels loose recently. My doctor told me it is because a screw gets loose and he will drill through the crown to put a new screw underneath, then fill the crown and it will be afterwards. My question is: will this procedure weaken the crown? Do you think it is better to replace the existing crown? Thanks.

Dear Jasmine:
This is actually not a rare occurrence.  There are some particular implant designs in which screw loosening is not that uncommon.  Your dentist is doing the right thing.  If the access opening which he have to make to the crown, is small and conservative, he can effectively screw the retaining screw back down, and close the access with some white composite filling material.  There is nothing wrong with that.  It is actually an acceptable way to finish the restoration.  However, if during the access hole preparation the porcelain is damaged, then the crown should be replaced.
You must speak to your dentist about that.
Without further looking at your situation specifically on xrays and clinically, this is all the information that I can give you.
Best of luck,
Dr Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.