Dentistry/Injured upper gums

Question
Dr. About a month ago I injured my upper gums on the left side underneath my denture. Something hard got in the shallow groove and I felt like a vein or nerve flash with pain, so I kept it out for a few days. The denture is less than year old with no other problems. Now, I have been trying to keep the food when chewing on the back teeth, but it is very difficult, and it seems like I keep hurting it. The area does seem to get better but still blue, when I eat extremely soft food.  It is still bruised bad. The dentist said it will heal. Salt water never helped at all. Do you think it is dried blood, and what should be done? Thank You

Answer
Diane your dentist should grind down the inside of the denture touchingthe sore area.  He could just leave it or he could place a soft denture liner in that area to allow it to heal.  Your dentist should know that.  He should also provide a mild cortisone msterial thst would stick on the wound and promote healing.  That medication is Kenalog in Orabase.  I wish you well and hope the dentist knows the correct treatment for you.  If you hs ve additional questions -contact me.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired