Dentistry/Pain after molar extraction

Question
I have throbbing pain at the site of a molar extraction (day 5 post op).  I have not been sleeping well at all this past week & am very tired from pain...when will things get better?

Answer
Dear Sheryl,

This is a question you need to ask of the dentist who removed the tooth.

In most cases, normal healing will proceed such that the pain lasts only a day or two.

In some cases, post-op infection will cause the kind of pain you describe.  In others, the healing process may include the formation of ulcers at the healing site.  This causes a great deal of pain for my patients who heal this way.  And the healing may take weeks, rather than days.  And in still others, debris that falls into the healing socket may be the issue.  Finally, there may be bone fragments or root fragments in the socket that act like splinters, and continue to cause pain.  Usually these will come out of the gum, and can be removed by your dentist fairly easily.  Rarely, dying bone may have to be surgically removed.

Determination can only be made by your dentist, who can observe your healing and tell you why you are having prolonged pain, and what might be done, if anything, to speed the process.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO