Dentistry/permanent lip numbness due to lower 3rd molar extraction

Dr. Tieg,
a female patient underwent lower 3rd molar extrction in 2010, since then she lost sensaton of the lower lip apparently due to inferior alveolar nerve injury,

does the numbness of the lip reversible?
is there any management to regain normal sensation of the lip?

thank you.

truly yours,

Wesley - Unfortunately, at this time there is no medical procedure to restore the function of the nerve.  There is research, which I just read about, that is working on this problem, but at this time there is no treatment that can reverse the problem.  If the problem was addressed within two to three months after the injury there are repairs possible.

Sorry about the bad news I provided.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude