Dentistry/permanent lip numbness due to lower 3rd molar extraction

Question
Dr. Tieg,
a female patient underwent lower 3rd molar extrction in 2010, since then she lost sensaton of the lower lip apparently due to inferior alveolar nerve injury,

does the numbness of the lip reversible?
is there any management to regain normal sensation of the lip?

thank you.

truly yours,
wesley

Answer
Wesley - Unfortunately, at this time there is no medical procedure to restore the function of the nerve.  There is research, which I just read about, that is working on this problem, but at this time there is no treatment that can reverse the problem.  If the problem was addressed within two to three months after the injury there are repairs possible.

Sorry about the bad news I provided.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired