Dentistry/Question about lower lip

Question
Bottom lip
Bottom lip  
Hello, I've always had little bumps inside my lower lip (at the corners of y mouth) for as long as I can remember. I also have random bumps, ranging in size, in my bottom lip as well. They're not hard as a rock, and I know I've had them for years (I used to suck on my lip when I was younger) I quit chewing tobacco over half a year ago, and of course I'm worried about cancer. I noticed some reddish patches on my lip, and I don't know what they could be. I am attaching a photo to this as well. I've red that reddish patches could mark a sign of squamous cell cancer. I am really worried about this.  Thank you for your time.

Answer
Rob -  The little bumps you show on the picture is completely normal.  In the lips there are hundreds of small minor salivary glands that produce a mucous secretion mixed with saliva.  This helps to lubricate the mouth to help reduce irritation and allow for a a better overall digestion.

So relax - it is all normal.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired