Dentistry/restoration of front lower teeth

Question
I had 3 metal-free porcelain crowns on my lower front teeth for couple years. Now, after installing bridge on upper implants, two of those lower had cheeped, a third one broke (it is now covered by a plastic crown) because upper crowns lined together with lower teeth rather than advance a little ahead from lower teeth.

Assuming dentist corrects the problem with upper bridge (may be by re-applying new porcelain, bending it a little forward, I really don't know how to advance upper front teeth forward) - how can he fix lower crown?
Should he now put a metal crowns with porcelain and grind even more those teeth (there is very little left from them), or again use a metal free crown and leave them like it is (without grinding for new crowns) if possible? Please explain what choices do I have. Thank you very much!

Answer
Dear Vlad,

Fixing the lower crowns can sometimes be done using composite materials to build the areas of the crowns that have been lost.  Usually, this does not last very long.  I would replace the broken crowns with new ones made of stronger lithium disilicate material (brand name eMax).  This provides double the strength of the older, more commonly used feldspathic porcelains.  If you tend to clench your teeth (you probably do), you will want your dentist to use zirconia (Bruxzir).  Properly made, this material has the characteristics of metal, but has a white color, and can be glazed to the colors of your teeth.

Because we have such a wide variety of materials available to us, that vary widely in strength and beauty without needing to use metal, I have virtually stopped using metal under my crowns.  Since last December, I have made only one crown using metal, and that was at the request of the patient.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO