I'm 15 and I have an overbite, I ask my dentist to see if I need braces so my teeth would line up. My dentist said I didn't and I don't know why. I was wondering if I needed it or not

Overbite is the amount of overlap that the upper teeth have with the lower teeth. It is usually measured in millimeters and a non extreme overbite does not require correction. In fact to little over bite(less than a mm, can eventually lead to excessive tooth wear on the edges of anterior teeth, since it can facilitate the teeth going into an edge to edge relationship.

Most overbites do not require correction, but those who do not like the way their teeth look often do consider orthodontics to improve their smiles. If you do not like the way your teeth are aligned you can ask your parents to take you to an Orthodontist for a consultation. You and your parents will then be better able to make a decision on whether you should consider undergoing orthodontic treatment.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics