Dentistry/Front Teeth Crowned and Fused together...uncomfortable

Question
Approximately 6mos ago, I had my front teeth crowned (replaced for 4th time over last 30 years). Due to the amount of natural tooth remaining, my dentist recommended (told me if I didn't he would have to have me sign a disclaimer)crowns be fused together.  First, the Lab tried to make the teeth several times before my dentist said "this is as good as it is going to get."  Secondly, when he finally got the crowns in (pushing, twisting, shoving...it was bad)my natural teeth felt as though I had braces just put on and tightened to the max.  My dentist assured me this would get better.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago when getting my teeth cleaned and explained to him how uncomfortable these crowns were.  He said, well, if we cut these crowns off, you may lose your natural teeth and that means another implant,(referring to the recent implant I had lost due to an infection).  I feel like a prisoner being threatened with bodily injure.  

Please tell me if there is a "safe" way to remove crowns without potentially losing the natural teeth.

Thank you!

Answer
Dear Sharon:
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.  However, you are right, the teeth should not feel as if you are having orthodontic treatment.  Even when teeth are connected, for various reasons, the bridge should seat passively and without any tension.  Sometimes, the body accommodates to the tension and the teeth underneath can move into position.  If the bridge is delivered with Vaseline for a period of a few days, the tension might be alleviated.  However, the proper way to do it is by checking the tension when the metal framework is fabricated, before the porcelain is applied.
Since it does not sound as if your dentist wants to do anything about it, you might want to go to to a prosthodontist, who is the specialist in this area, for a second opinion.
www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a specialist near you.  Do not leave this be.  This is a problem which requires attention.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.