Dentistry/Temporary Crown on 11

I had an implant done on my front tooth 11 approximately six months ago. Last week my dentist placed the temporary crown so that the gums can form properly prior to the permanent crown. My question is....shouldn't the temporary crown be the same size as the other front tooth? The temporary crown is shorter and wider than 21. I dont feel good about this as the crown is rounded on one side and straight on the other. It doesnt appear to be the same size at all. Is this normal? I'm worried when he places the permanent crown it's going to look either larger than my other front tooth or there will be large gaps on one or either side. Now my dentist is bringing up veneers. Something doesnt feel right about this.

Dear Joan,

Ideally, we want the temporary crown to mimic what the permanent crown would look like.  However, this is not always possible or done which is okay as long as the final crown is to the doctor and patient's liking.
As far as the veneers, if teeth on the right side are not symmetrical or proportionate with the teeth on the left side, #11 and the upper front teeth as a group will look a little 'off.'  Veneers are a great tool to even out the proportions.  I hope this helps and good luck to you.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts and gum grafts.

My practice focuses in the field of periodontics and dental implants. I enjoy working with dental specialists to coordinate full mouth reconstructions and cosmetic dentistry.

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association, Queens County Dental Association

BA - Wesleyan University, DDS - SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, Certificate in Periodontics - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey