Dentistry/toothbrush?

Question
I was reading about soft toothbrushes being the best.is extra soft a marketing gimmick? And is it any better than regular soft? Also how do I know if the toothbrush has rounded bristles what does that mean?  I read thats better. Is that talking about the overall head being round or the individual bristle?
Thanks

Answer
Dear Ed:
Most of the claims you have mentioned are just, as you said, marketing gimmicks.  If you read many of my previous answers on this topic and others, such as rinsing, you know that the ONLY way to control plaque is by physically removing it from the teeth.   This can be accomplished by brushing and flossing.  Any other discussion, as to the thickness of bristels, roundness of edges, etc. is just gravy.  It is as if we were to discuss whether adding 10 lbs of pressure to your bicycle tires will make you a better rider.  Theoretically, yes, but the only thing that can really make you a better rider is training hard.  The exact tire pressure will make very little difference. (Of course, not having ANY air in your tires is analogous to not having a tooth brush at all).
Most tooth brushes on the market today are just fine.  I personally like the ones with different bristle lengths and directions, preferably by a reputable manufacturer (Oral-B, Crest, Pepsodent,etc.).  
Many people mistaken thorough brushing with "hard" brushing.  You do not need to press hard.  As a matter of fact, if you press your brush harder, you will bend the bristles and they will NOT go into the crevices around your teeth properly.  This is why most dentists will recommend a SOFT brush and gently   brushing for at least two minutes.
Electrics such as the Braun/Oral-B and Sonicare are excellent as well.  However, as I said, do not push them hard against your teeth.
The best indicator is to select a brush which you like and ask your dentist/hygienist how effective you are at your next appointment.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.