Dentistry/Too young for serial extraction for future braces

Question
QUESTION: My son is 10, and has a his adult teeth are double or more his baby teeth.  He's been seeing an orthodontist since he was 8 for the crowding issue.  Our dentist has been pulling his baby teeth in order for the adult teeth to bread through.  According to the new teethes, his molars are coming and needs space.  His baby teeth are not loose yet.  The orthodontist strongly suggest pulling 6 baby teeth and 4 adult teeth (1st bicuspids) to make space for the molars.

My concern is his tender age to have all these teeth removed, as it could be a long time before the adult teeth come in.

Will his jaw not continue to grow and reduce some crowding?  
Will his jaw not grow more to accommodate the teeth?  
Will the jaw growth slow down because less space is required, after the extraction?  
Will this change his facial features?
When is the best time to do it, and why?
What will happen if I wait?

ANSWER: Serial extraction is designed to be accomplished over a several year time span, typically from age 8-12.  While it is not appropriate for all types of bite problems, in certain cases it can greatly simplify orthodontic treatment a allow for a better result.  The timing of the extractions is very important and must be done before the baby teeth actually become loose.

To answer some of your other questions...
The jaws will certainly grow more after age 10, however this will not reduce the crowding to accommodate the permanent teeth.  When properly done the serial extraction plan should not adversely affect facial appearance.
In most cases if serial extraction is necessary and it is not done it can result in impacted teeth, the need for surgery, and prolonged orthodontic treatment.

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your time and response.

You mentioned that serial extraction is designed to be accomplished over a time period.  The orthodontist is recommending the extraction all at once...in one shot.  Will it be more trauma to extract 10 teeth at once, or over time (thus reopening the gums)?  Is this too aggressive for a 10 year old?

Answer
I can't answer your question since I don't have any of the important details that go into making the specific treatment recommendations.  The timing of extractions for each case needs to be determined after careful consideration of all the diagnostic information.  If you wish to have a second opinion you should obtain copies of all the diagnostic records and take your son for an evaluation.

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson