I had a upper right molar extraction Friday at 2pm. There was whitish stuff over the hole when I woke up Saturday. Research says that's grandular tissue and is good. Today while rinsing with warm saltwater it started to come out. Should I be concerned? Is that the clot? I'm afraid of dry socket. I'm at 49 hours.

Brianna -  Relax, it is not usual at all for the surface whitish tissue to dissolve during the healing.  First of all, the appearance of a socket is no indication if a dry socket will develop.  First of all, a bad taste and odor from your mouth, along with the eventual discomfort of a dry socket is the first indication of a dry socket developing.  So you do not have to worry.

It is now a couple of days and you should begin a gentle warm salt water rinsing after meals to clean the sockets and promote healing.  I wish you well and hope you do very well in the healing.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude