Dentistry/Extraction

Question
I had a upper right molar extraction Friday at 2pm. There was whitish stuff over the hole when I woke up Saturday. Research says that's grandular tissue and is good. Today while rinsing with warm saltwater it started to come out. Should I be concerned? Is that the clot? I'm afraid of dry socket. I'm at 49 hours.

Answer
Brianna -  Relax, it is not usual at all for the surface whitish tissue to dissolve during the healing.  First of all, the appearance of a socket is no indication if a dry socket will develop.  First of all, a bad taste and odor from your mouth, along with the eventual discomfort of a dry socket is the first indication of a dry socket developing.  So you do not have to worry.

It is now a couple of days and you should begin a gentle warm salt water rinsing after meals to clean the sockets and promote healing.  I wish you well and hope you do very well in the healing.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired