Dentistry/gum pain after 3/4 crown work

I had a 3/4 crown done last Wednesday on a lower molar.  I have no pain in the tooth at all.  I do, however, have had continuous gum pain on the cheek side of the tooth he did the work on.  The pain was really bad on Wednesday, and it was so bad that on Thursday I stayed in bed all day.  I called the dentist but he has not returned my calls.  Calls, plural.  My husband has looked in my mouth and says that the gum is receded and red and the gum skin is coming off.  The pain is so bad that I can't brush or floss that side of my mouth at all.  I am taking pain killers but when the pills wear off, I am back in pain until I can digest another dose of pain killer.  I have cleaned my mouth with salted water, peroxide and Listerine.  What else do you recommend that I do?  I didn't call the emergency phone line because I don't consider this to be a true emergency:  I am not bleeding, having trouble breathing, or swallowing.

Dear Cyndi,
this is not my area of expertise
To feel better temporarily, dry the area as best you can and then coat it with vaseline.
The pain will most likely go away.
Continue to try to get your dentist to determine what the problem is.
All the best,
Dr. Stephen Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.