Dentistry/Herbst Appliance Alternatives

Question
Hi my daughter is 12 1/2 and three weeks ago got a Herbst Appliance with a rapid palatial expander to wear for a year and then follow up with braces for a year. Her Herbst has an acrylic shint for the bottom that is removed only to brush her teeth. It is a lot of stuff in her mouth and she is miserable. She was a picky eater to begin with and now she barely eats, not due to pain but due to the annoyance of everything in her mouth. She has an 8mm overbite and a minor crossbite on her lower left side. Can braces alone fix this, or are there any other appliances that are not so big that she can use? I just do not want her to suffer with this thing for a whole year. Thanks for you help.

Answer
There are many different approaches to treating each of the many different aspects of bite problems.  Each single orthodontist utilizes those particular methods that are best applied in view of his or her training and experience.  If I were to suggest an alternative approach you would then have to appeal to any number of orthodontists until you might find one who could utilize such an alternative method.
Here's a better way to proceed: Go to your daughter's orthodontist and present the problem as you've done in this message and see what he/she recommends.  If that is not satisfactory then find another orthodontist and see what suggestions that person recommends.  You may need to change providers if that works best for you or you may need to make the best of your current situation.  In either case you should be open and frank with your daughter's orthodontist and try to work together to seek the best approach for your daughter.

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson