Dentistry/Hole in gum with bone or maybe tooth showing.

I wrote to you on 3/18/13 explaining that I have a round hole, which by the way has gotton bigger and longer, sort of oval shaped now. As I said I have a 6 tooth lower fixed bridge that attaches to a semi-precision partial on both abutment teeth, and to a separate crowned tooth all the way in the back on the lower left hand side. The hole is right behind it. I asked you what type of dental conditions could cause this, and what procedure would be done to correct it. I also know that I have some bone loss, probably from when I first had all this work done.

You told me that it may be a wisdom tooth beginning to grow through my gum. Is that possible at the age of 57? I would of thought all this was checked out with x-rays before the dentist and surgeons started working on my mouth. I don't have any of my original teeth in my mouth. They grinded all my teeth down for the crowns for my fixed bridges. I also have a full fixed upper bridge. Is it possible that the gum receded, or that I punctured it in some way with something I ate, and that it is bone showing through instead of a tooth coming in? I thought all my dental problems were behind me, when I had all this work done. The gums around the separate crowned tooth that the semi-precision partial clasp attaches to, is swollen around the crowned tooth and also where the oval hole is. I don't understand what has happened. Do you still think it still might be a wisdom tooth and not bone under my gum? I can't really tell. For my sake I hope it is a wisdom tooth. Will the dentist be able to stitch my gum back together, so I won't have to look at this oval hole anymore?  I'am alittle nervous about going to the dentist, i keep putting it off, but I can't any longer. In your opinion should I go to a general dentist, or a professional prosthodontist. My original work was done by a general dentist a friend of my brothers. I wish from the start that I went to a prosthodontist. I hope I explained myself correctly. Thank you in advance for your advice and all your help. I really appreciate it.

Here it is January, and I haven't heard from you about what was done and what you found.

Please drop me a note to let me know what it was and how things turned out.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.