Dentistry/Tartar build up

Question
I have a bonded retainer on the back of my bottom front teeth and there is a lot of built up tartar feels uncomfortable, but in no way painful. I just had my teeth cleaned 3 months ago and it is going to be another 3 months until my 6 month cleaning. What should i do?

Answer
Dear Patrick:
This is the shortest response that I ever had to write:
Go and schedule a cleaning with your dentist right away.

Let me explain:
The "every six months rule" is an insurance industry standard.  They know that if you go twice a year, they will be making a good profit from your policy and at the same time, you will be getting adequate care.  The key word is ADEQUATE!
Different people have different reactions to plaque and bacteria.  Some of us do not build up any tartar, others build it up within a few days.  I have plenty of people in my practice who come in for a cleaning every 2 months, some come in every three, four or the traditional six.  It is up to my hygienist and the patients.  I let them decide which schedule is best for each individual.
The bottom line is that if you build up a lot of tartar and do not go often enough, the hygienist will have a tough time cleaning you up and will not be able to get to the stuff under the gum line in the time she has to work with you.
You know what clean teeth feel like.  It is just like a hair cut.  If it gets too long and uncomfortable, go and have it cut.
You DO NOT have to go by your insurance!  They DO NOT know your mouth.  You and your dentist/hygienist DO!
Talk to your dentist/hygienist about the proper frequency for you.
Take care of your teeth, unlike hair, they DO NOT grow back!
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.