Dentistry/Minor toothache

After feeling some minor toothache over the last few days I decided seeing as it wasn't going away I should visit the dentist, after a quick examination he could see no obvious problems.

He then performed an x ray which revealed, in his words, ' a little bit of decay' underneath an old filling, as I had informed him that it was very minor pain at this point he recommended that I book in to have the filling 'sorted out' by which I presume he means removed, the decay drilled away and then re filled, however he also said it shouldn't cause any real problems in the short term so it was fine to book in to have this done whenever was convenient, suggesting in the new year...

My question is while i trust this dentist, and ive been seeing him for about 15 years now, is it really wise to wait to have this done, he said to ring if the pain gets to the point where it interferes with sleep etc and hel get an emergency appointment, but surely it would be better to have it treated before then? and before it has a chance to get worse and possibly lead to me needing something more invasive?

I suppose coming from a position of total dentistry ignorance i shouldn't question his opinion but i just feel if its as minor as he says it is, it shouldn't be causing me any pain at all?

hi ben
check your dentist's schedule for the month.... either he has some big cases lined up, or he is going out on a vacation?
that would explain his reluctance.
as far as the cavity is concerned, get it sorted out asap, dont wait.
best wishes
dr m

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)