Dentistry/peridontal disease and antibiotics

Question
should a patient with extensive periodontal disease be given antibiotics prior to full mouth extractions?

should a dentist xray when patient complains of pain and swelling within 72 hours of full extractions?

what guidelines should dentist follow before abandoning patient?

can dentist withhold records for over 10 months?...all issues apply to me...also i never received hard line of denture...thank you

Answer
Melody - A patient with extensive periodontal disease does not need antibiotics prior to full mouth extractions.  If, however, the periodontal disease included areas of abscess formation, then an antibiotic would be necessary after the extractions, but not before.

An xray within 72 hours of the extraction, when there is pain and swelling, might be necessary if the doctor had difficulty with the extractions or if the doctor did not establish drainage from an infection existing prior.  If the extractions were near or involving the sinus, then an xray might be beneficial to determine if violation of the sinus occurred during the extractions.

Abandoning is a bad word.  If the patient refuses to follow the regimen outlined by the doctor to assist in healing or resolution of an infection, the doctor might not want to be exposed to that patient.  If, however, the doctor's treatment was questionable or not as good as it might have been, then abandoning the patient, without arranging for a successful solution to the problem is wrong.

Actually the records are the doctor's, but if requested by the patient, a copy of those records are made available to the patient.  That doctor cannot prevent a copy going to the patient or the patient's representative.

I don't know what you mean by hard line of a denture.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired