Dentistry/Post Tooth Extraction Question

I had a lower molar extracted several weeks ago and the dentist used non-dissolvable sutures. I had to return a week later to have them removed. The healing has been coming along nicely since then but obviously still has a ways to go. I recently discovered a single suture remaining and which was missed when the dentist removed the others.

It doesn't seem to be causing any problems and the gum is healing around it. Do I need to return and have it removed or can I just leave it in there? My dentist is a long trip so I don't want to have to make a return visit if i can avoid it.

i hate to tell you this but if they are non-resorbable sutures, then you need to get this last one removed. leaving it in there can cause problems later. usually you will end up with a swollen area around the leftover suture. make the call and get it out...maybe he/she can find someone closer to you to get that last suture out for you so you do not have to drive so far. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.