Dentistry/Single non-dissolvable suture remaining (missed) after tooth extraction

Question
I had a lower molar extracted several weeks ago and the dentist used non-dissolvable sutures. I had to return a week later to have them removed. The healing has been coming along nicely since then but obviously still has a ways to go. I recently discovered a single suture remaining and which was missed when the dentist removed the others.

It doesn't seem to be causing any problems and the gum is healing around it. Do I need to return and have it removed or can I just leave it in there? My dentist is a long trip so I don't want to have to make a return visit if i can avoid it.

Answer
Sam -  I hate to tell you this because of the lomg ride, but non-dissolving sutures if left can be the source of a future infection site.  So do yourself a favor and have it removed.  Sometimes you can encourage that suture to come out on its own by simply rinsing with warm salt water rinses for about 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times a day, in that suture area.

So try the rinsing first and if it does not release, have it removed.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired