Dentistry/Swelling of palatine glands?

Question

Occasionally I find two small lumps that sporadically appear and disappear. They're mildly painful but only when touched and usually go down in a few days. They're located on my hard palate, towards the soft palate. They're at the same level as my 2nd molars from the back. Sometimes both will be swollen and sore and sometimes just one.

This first started a few years ago when I was bulimic. I assumed it was down to irratation from the acid. It's been a few years since and I recovered but this is still occurring without explanation. When it occurs I use corsodyl mouth wash that contains chlorhexidine digluconate twice a day for about 5 days.

I have an appointment with a dentist in a month but was wondering if there was anything else I can do or if I should be concerned.

Thanks

Answer
Hi Danielle and thanks for your question.  Please accept my sincerest of apologies for my rather late reply, I hope it hasn't inconvenienced you in any way.

I am sure you can appreciate the danger and difficulty in offering you a definitive diagnosis without additional diagnostic tools, least of all the privilege of a clinical examination. From what you have explained and the nature of this lesion, it might be viral in origin, given that it fluctuates in presence and viral infections typically form vesicles or sacs within the gum tissue. Most of these clear up over time and cause no eminent danger to ones oral or general health, but it might be advisable to biopsy the lesion with any liquid contained within and get a definitive diagnosis - that would give you the peace of mind you deserve over this. At this stage, I cannot offer you much more insight, but let your dentist take a look and decide what the best route forward is.  Take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)